This stewed cabbage is a traditional Jamaican recipe, passed down to Tubby from her mother. While her mom’s recipe was not traditionally vegan, the recipe has easily been altered to match our vegan mission.
A half head of cabbage gets cooked down with sweet onion, tomato, and ketchup along with a green bell pepper, black pepper, and salt for balance. This recipe is not only vegan, but low calorie and rich in vitamin C. This side-dish is commonly served with corned beef or salt fish.
To make a complete vegan meal, cook with your favorite bean like garbanzo or butter beans or beans of your choice. Play Tubby’s playlist “Oh. Wow. Yum!” featuring Beenie Man, Buju Banton, Bob Marley & The Wailers, and Lauryn Hill while you cook and enjoy your stewed cabbage.
- ½ head of cabbage, sliced thinly
- ¼ of a yellow onion, diced
- ¼ of a green bell pepper, diced
- ¼ of a large tomato, diced
- 2 Tbsp margarine or vegan butter
- 2 Tbsp ketchup
- Salt & Pepper to taste
- Saute the onion, bell pepper, and tomato in butter over medium heat for 4-5 minutes or until the vegetables start to soften.
- Add the cabbage and ketchup to the pan and continue cooking until the cabbage is soft, 10-15 min.
- Season to taste and serve!