This cocktail takes our Tropical Surprise Cookie and transforms it into a perfect summertime cocktail.
Sorrel is a Jamaican drink traditionally served at Christmas time and serves as the inspiration for our popular cookie and this refreshing cocktail. Also known as Roselle, sorrel is made with a hibiscus-like flower steeped in liquid like tea and then flavored with warm spices.
Every family has a different recipe. Growing up Tubby’s family made it with fresh ginger and pimento, also known as all spice. Sorrel is drunk in celebration and so should both the Summer Sorrel Cocktail and Tropical Surprise Cookie. Make your cocktail and eat your cookie while you celebrate delicious food and great music with this playlist.
- 1 cup dried hibiscus/roselle flowers
- 3 cups boiling water
- 1 thumb of ginger, thinly sliced
- 10 all spice berries
- 2 limes juices
- 1 cup of water
- 1 cup of Manichevitz or other vegan sweet red wine
- Simple syrup (1 cup water + 1 cup sugar)
- Steep hibiscus flowers and ginger in boiling water.
- Let sit for 24 hours and then strain. Reserve the ginger.
- Add lime juice, water, the reserved ginger, all spice, and wine to the hibiscus infused water.
- Taste the drink for spice. Add more ginger or all spice if desired.
- Cover and let sit in the fridge for at least 24 hours. Drink can be left for a few months if desired.
- When ready to drink, add the simple syrup and enjoy your celebration.