Tubby’s Summertime Mango Sorbet
There is nothing more perfect for a warm day than something bright, fresh, and frozen. This mango sorbet is exactly that and more. In Jamaica, mangos are ripe and plentiful.
For this recipe, you can use fresh or frozen, but be sure to use fresh lemon juice, and perhaps most importantly, play Tubby’s “Taste of Paradise” playlist while you scoop your sorbet.
Just like this sweet desert, it's the kind of music you play when you simply want to relax. This recipe is straightforward but requires some prep work.
Make a simple syrup by bringing equal parts cane sugar and water to a boil just until the sugar is dissolved. Using a simple syrup here creates a silkier texture. The small amount of vodka helps too. Want to reduce the sugar? Use 2 overripe bananas and use half the simple syrup.
- 3 cups frozen mango chunks (or 4-5 fresh mangoes, chopped)
- Juice of 2 lemons
- 2 Tbsp vodka
- Simple syrup (½ cup cane sugar + ½ cup water)
- 2 pinches of salt
- In a blender, combine mango, lemon juice, vodka, simple syrup, and salt.
- Blend until smooth and refrigerate for at least an hour or until chilled.
- Churn in an ice cream maker according to the machine’s instructions.
- Enjoy right away or freeze.